Top 5 Jewish Moments at The Golden Globes
This years Globes were filled with memorable Jewish moments. Here are the best.
Although many Jews were nominated for last night's Golden Globe awards, only a few went home with the prize.
Before beginning the top 5 countdown of most memorable Jewish moments, let's honor those that left empty-handed. The Social Network's star Jesse Eisenberg and 127 Hours lead James Franco both lost in the best actor category to The King Speech's Colin Firth. Black Swan director Darren Aronofsky was passed over for The Social Network's David Fincher, and King's Speech screenwriter David Seidler (whose flight from the Nazis and Jewish family trauma partly inspired the story) lost to fellow Jew, Aaron Sorkin of The Social Network.
Now, on with the show.
1. Host Ricky Gervais kicks off the night introducing presenter Scarlett Johansson as "beautiful, talented, and Jewish apparently". This comment was accompanied by a somewhat bizarre expression as if to insinuate she's too attractive (and blonde) to be Jewish. He continues by claiming his source to be "Mel Gibson- he's obsessed".
2. Non-Jew Paul Giamatti takes home the award for Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical for his portrayal in Mordechai Richler's semi-autobiographical Barney's Version. In his acceptance speech, he also speaks very highly of Canada, as the film was shot in Montreal.
3. Pregnant Natalie Portman wins for Best Actress in a Drama for Black Swan. Like every good Jewish girl, she's thanks her grandmother first saying "I want to say hi to my grandmother Bernice- I hope your having a drink Grandma". She later laughs manically at her own joke. Starts cute, turned a little scary.
4. The Social Network sweeps the night with several awards including best screenplay, director, and dramatic film. Screenwriter Aaron Sorkin delivers a message to Facebook creator Mark Zuckerberg in his speech saying "I want to say to Mark Zuckerberg tonight, Rooney Mara's character makes a prediction at the beginning of the movie. She was wrong. You turned out to be a great entrepreneur, a visionary, and an incredible altruist".
5. Television show Glee wins best comedy series. Apparently co-creator, producer, writer, and director of the show, Brad Falchuk is the son of Nancy Falchuk- Israel's national Hassadah president.
Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Diane von Furstenberg, Kevin Hart, Lorne Michaels, and many more make the 12th annual list
Elbit Systems developed the new tunnel-detection system together with the Israeli Defense Ministry and other partners in Israel
Conference to be held in Israel this Sunday will bring Orthodox rabbinical community, and the therapeutic community, together in support of LGBT teens
Mind you, they were only there for a couple days
The company is need of a new chief beer tester, and is turning to the Israeli public for help
"It's a great time to be in the city of Cleveland," says the Israeli Head Coach, whose team squares off against the Celtics on Sunday
James Deen to Play Himself on Showtime's 'Happyish' Culture » TV » News