Shalom Life | April 01, 2015

Cleveland Browns’ Sale Ends Oldest Jewish Ownership in NFL

51 year Jewish ownership ends as NFL team sold to Jimmy Haslam III

By: David Shear

Published: August 3rd, 2012 in News » World

Cleveland Browns’ Sale Ends Oldest Jewish Ownership in NFL

The Cleveland Browns were sold yesterday for $1 billion, ending a 51 year Jewish ownership.

The Browns, sold to Jimmy Haslem II, the Tennessee truck-stop magnate, were first purchased by Art Modell in 1961 for $4 million, who moved them to Baltimore in 1996, renaming them the Baltimore Ravens.

In 1998, Al Lerner bought the rights for the Browns from the NFL for $530 million. His son, Randy, inherited the team after his father died in 2002.

As can be expected, ownership change can make Browns fans a little nervous, but Haslam has promised Lerner, and the fans, that the franchise will not be relocated.

Lerner will sell 70 percent of the Browns to Haslam now, with the remaining 30 percent reverting back to him four years after the closing date, a person with knowledge of the sale told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because details have not been made official by the NFL yet.

Randy Lerner is also the owner of Aston Villa, a club in the English Premier League.

If you’re keeping count, the number of current NFL owners who are Jewish is now down to nine. Still quite impressive.

New Evidence Reveals Anne Frank Didn't Die When We Thought She Did New Evidence Reveals Anne Frank Didn't Die When We Thought She Did TrendingToronto Professionals, Politicians Show Unwavering Support for Israel and Democracy at ACTION 2015 Toronto Professionals, Politicians Show Unwavering Support for Israel and Democracy at ACTION 2015 TrendingJewish Transgender Teen Celebrates 'Coming Out Ceremony' with His Community Jewish Transgender Teen Celebrates 'Coming Out Ceremony' with His Community Trending
 

New Evidence Reveals Anne Frank Didn't Die When We Thought She Did

March 31, 2015 | By Caitlin Marceau
New Evidence Reveals Anne Frank Didn't Die When We Thought She Did

Despite the world remembering the Frank sisters on March 31st, new evidence suggests that the girls passed away in February, and not two weeks before the liberation of their Bergen-Belsen concentration camp

Read More

Martha Stewart Killed It At Justin Bieber’s Roast

March 31, 2015 | By Caitlin Marceau
Martha Stewart Killed It At Justin Bieber’s Roast

The 73 year-old lifestyle mogul blew audiences away at the roast of Justin Bieber when she dominated the event with her quick wit and sharp tongue

Read More

JDC Offers Relief to Ukraine's Jews this Passover

March 31, 2015 | By Jeffrey F. Barken, JNS.org
JDC Offers Relief to Ukraine's Jews this Passover

The American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee will deliver nearly 48,000 free packages of matzah to Ukrainian Jews in need

Read More

Study: Israeli Women Believe Being A Female Breadwinner is "Unfeminine"

March 31, 2015 | By Caitlin Marceau
Study: Israeli Women Believe Being A Female Breadwinner is "Unfeminine"

In a recent study at the University of Haifa, women admitted to working unpaid hours, and performing unpaid tasks, believing that asking for equal pay is seen to be as unfeminine

Read More

Wonderful Initiative Helps Over 100 Orphaned Boys Celebrate Bar Mitzvah Together

March 31, 2015 | By Caitlin Marceau
Wonderful Initiative Helps Over 100 Orphaned Boys Celebrate Bar Mitzvah Together

Colel Chabad organization holds event at Western Wall and International Convention Center in Jerusalem

Read More

New Toronto Marketing Agency Finds the Most Influential Social Media Users to Effectively Market Your Brand

March 31, 2015 | By Sy Berg
New Toronto Marketing Agency Finds the Most Influential Social Media Users to Effectively Market Your Brand

Using a complex algorithm, The Leaders are able to recruit users with high rankings on social media, and utilize their influence to increase brand recognition for clients like Google and L'Oreal

Read More

5,000-Year-Old Beer-Making Pottery Discovered in Central Tel Aviv

March 31, 2015 | By Itay Blumenthal
5,000-Year-Old Beer-Making Pottery Discovered in Central Tel Aviv

Archaeologist: 'Tel Aviv has been city that never sleeps for thousands of years'

Read More

Here's Every Jew and Israel Joke Trevor Noah Has Made on Social Media

March 31, 2015 | By Daniel Koren
Here's Every Jew and Israel Joke Trevor Noah Has Made on Social Media

People are furious with the South African comedian tapped as Jon Stewart's replacement for 'The Daily Show'

Read More

More Headlines